So here I go, attempting to capture snapshots of my life….maybe creating a false sense of worth, but regardless why not try. The intensity of a moment……… carried on for over a week without ever slowing; the reason why I love New York.
It started with a spontaneous trip to New Hampshire. That’s right New Hampshire…I wondered what was there too. I had never even considered it as place to go or even not go for that matter. A rental car in Jersey for a whopping 29 buckaroos a day. (Driving was fun) Due to the spontaneity of the trip we had no CD’s for the car, so we bought one album that was to be the sound track of the 5 hour drive, luckily for us the CD came with a free compilation that was really good (opening with a new Muse song…the ironic beginning and ending of my week) which came in quite handy as the drive was extended by hours into the traffic and rain…(but we did get to see a rainbow). I won’t bore you with the details, but I camped outside among the trees, made smores, swam in the lake, made soup in a stone pot on the fire, and met a group of really amazing people (they all worked in Project USE together, which I will tell about more later, because I am totally going to do it NEXT.) Three days later I returned to my very quaint neighborhood on the edge of this large city.
Monday is free movie night in Bryant Park. It’s not really about the movie; in fact I usually leave as the movie has barely gotten under way. But Jamie, the bartender at the local bar and a super hilarious person, goes all out for this. He makes it a feast of food and wine for the royal family. Then when we are there he befriends anyone in the vicinity, which is why the number of people (and the number of wine bottles grow exponentially every week). It is quite an experience… hundreds of people tipsy in the park watching old movies.
Tuesday, on a whim, I went to Jersey. I have known now for several weeks that the sandy shores of Jersey are quite amazing (I have even attempted surfing), but on this trip I learned a whole new side of amazing. Brace yourself. At night, when you swim in the ocean …….it glows. Yup that’s right. I was a little scared to go in that night because the water is no bathtub gulf of Mexico…its cold…really cold, colder than Barton Springs. But as I was tiptoeing in and noticed these amazing glowing bubbles that followed me through the water. I can totally see how Edna Pontellier was unable to resist the lure of the water.. That night I slept outside and went for a freezing cold morning swim before the ungodly hour of 6 am. But if one has to be at work by 730 am there is no better way to wake up than in the ocean…even if that means putting your work clothes on over your sandy, salt water incrusted self in the car while chowing down Duncan Donuts.
So after very little sleep I go to work at my school by 730 am and then I have to go straight to work at the restaurant…Blaue Gans. Sounds like it would be another terrible 16 hour workday, but this was a pivotal day. It was my last. I finally quit the restaurant.(which is part of the reason that I chose this web address because kids used to call me headuh, then the Germans at the restaurant called me headuh, and I felt the need to keep it alive somehow) I worked my shift and then turned in my locker keys. Though I might miss having Burenwurst sausage every now and then, it was a very satisfying moment.
Thursday I went to the Muse show at Hammerstein Ballroom (which is a rather amazing place, large but with a quaint feel). And I was exhausted and hungry (understandable since I had worked 16 hours the day before and having less than 5 hours of sleep a night for the past week) as I first waited for my friend, then as I waited in line, then as I waited for the first band to come… and get off, then as I waited a grueling 45 minutes, packed like baking sardines near the front of the stage, for Muse. I didn’t think I would make it. I was loosing steam fast. But once they started playing I was blown away! It was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen or maybe felt. Now if only I could have been the glowing ocean while watching them play…I could have died completely content. I lost my voice, I was exhausted. But it was really great. No words do justice to the greatness of the show.
So there you have it, a snap shot of my week, a very eventful week. . ..(also I almost died yesterday. I was riding my bike and was almost plowed over by a huge blue van). But don’t worry there should be more to come because on Saturday I leave for another adventure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Heather, you never fail to amaze me! How can one woman have so many adventures. I look forward to living vicariously through this blog. Love you, Amy
Post a Comment