Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The nature of my summers



in this city I go until I collapse (unfortunately so far this summer has been mostly work), but I never leave much time for reflection …..which is why my page hasn’t been updates since the hike, thought yesterday I just lost another toe nail due to the hike (yup both pinky toe nails, gone!)

Now my work is winding down and I am counting down the days (36 days until my contract is up) and several of my major projects are over. One of them being a week long academic boot camp in Swarthmore PA; it was a long and trying process preparing for the week. And then the week came and my college student advisors (the camp counselors) were giving me grey hairs (yes I have some, as my mom’s hair dress so kindly pointed out to me). But its done: I successfully organized, developed, implemented, ran with very little sleep or support, a week long camp (that started with my driving a 15 passanger van in the city)


complete with team building activities,cooking lessons, academic classes, field trip to philly, games of capture the flag,a dance off, (as well as some lessons in pop, drop and lock it)
and final projects. And now I feel completely burnt out (with lots of bruises to show for it) and know that if I were ever to take on the classroom as a certified teacher that I could come up with some great lessons on the spot, but I would be one strict (borderline mean) teacher!

Now I am going to take advantage of the summer here, I have list of things to do before I move. Though I have been checking things off (great adventure in jersey, riding bike to coney island, concerts – Bob Weir – in central park, Monday night movie in the park, beach) my list keeps growing.

So those of you who said you were going to come to New York before I move better come on….we got a lot of things to do and not so much time!

No comments: