Friday, July 20, 2007

My room rented (and another toe nail gone) its official…..

My time in New York is almost over. I realized this past weekend I am really going to miss summer in this place (not winter). After giving the official word to my current place of employment – we found (chrissy gets all the credit for finding it) the greatest dive bar: Port 41. Full of old time electrician buying rounds and telling stories (and a bar tender in her bra) free pool, darts ski ball (not plugged in) and popcorn. I followed that up with a free outside show by the water for the river to river festival that takes place all summer (menomena didn’t play a very good show – but I did learn that I was perhaps mispronouncing their name all this time) dinner outside, and a crazy (not so great) cd release party – I would call it indie electronic dance rock. Anyone want the free cd? The next day (after brunch at neighborhood kitchen table- Alma) we went swimming at the Floating Pool Lady (a new free pool in the neighborhood).
I know that might not seem like a big deal – but it was a swimming pool on a barge. While we waited for our swim session we hung out a beach (sand, volleyball, port a potties and all) just across the river from Manhattan; followed by some dancing (and drinking) at Fat Babies in the city. To top the weekend off on Sunday, Chrissy and I went kayaking on the upper west side for free – anyone can go its open to the public just sign your name and put on your life jacket (my kayaking was nothing like this but you must check out Harlan's blog to see his kayaking video!). Then we ate scones in central park while some people had a disco skate party. I was exhausted ( I was asleep by 1030- virtually unheard of for me) but it was a great weekend that just happened, didn’t come out of planning, and didn’t cost much money.



Then on Tuesday I rode my bike (thanks to friend from the bar who gave an amazing bike for free) to work, again doesn’t seem like a big deal except I live in Brooklyn across from the southern tip of Manhattan(belows the green subway line) and I work on the northern tip of Manhattan (168th street). It was somewhere between 12 and 15 miles each way - about an hour and twenty minutes (only 20 more minutes than the train). It was only a little scary after I went over the bridge and had to ride along the streets in the city to west side bike path (I really should get a helmet) but then it was a beautiful path right along the water through many different neighborhoods. And at least a third of the Manhattan’s population runs on a parallel jogging path at 7 am. I think I might for go the car no matter where I live and just try to get around on my bike – save me from having to beg for gas money on the street corners.

But the real question is can I create this kind of life for myself somewhere else?

1 comment:

Harlan Blynn said...

The real question is whether someplace else is ready for that kind of life.